TATA CONSULTANCY SERVICES
Paper Type : Whole Testpaper
Test Date : 27 January 2008
Test Location : Jss Academy Of Technical Education,Noida
TCS PAPER ON 27th JANUARY 2008
Hi freinds, I appeared for the TCS in JSS ACADEMY OF TECHNICAL
EDUCATION, NOIDA on 27th JAN 2008. WRITTEN PAPER was oraganized in
groups of 50-100 each. They had selected total 195 students for the
interview from more than 500 candidates. And finally they selected 78
students after interview.
The test was bit easy...(it all depends on ur preparation)... I am
writing my experience..
The written test consisits of 3 sections.
1.VERBAL (32 Question(10syn, 10ant, 6sentence completion, 6RC).
2.Aptitude (38 questions)
3.Critical Reasoning (12 Questions).
please go through all previous papers once. and BARRON'S GRE 12TH
EDITION IS MUST.
For Synonyms & Antonyms:Prepare from previous papers and fresherworld's
power preparation for TCS. RC and Sentence Completion is little bit
PLEASE do three or four questions one day before from .
Censure - fault, criticize
Optimum- best, most favorable
Candid- frank, open, blunt, upfront, forth-right
Cite - quote, name, mention, refer to, allude to
Effusive - demonstrative, fussy, talkative, overenthusiastic,vociferous,
Voluble - articulate, vociferous, talkative
Banal - commonplace, trivial, predictable, trite, hackneyed
Standing - rank, permanent, position, duration, status,
Nascent - budding, emerging, blossoming, embryonic
Clutch - grasp, grab, hold
Generic - general, basic, common
Empirical -experimental, pragmatic, practical
Anomaly - irregularity, glitch, difference
Circuitous - roundabout, twisty, meandering, indirect, winding, tortuous
Surveillance - observation, watch, shadowing
Objective - aim, impartial, real, purpose, goal
Raucous - rough, wild, hoarse, guttering
Voracious - insatiable, avid, hungry, big, rapacious, greedy
Pedigree - rare-breed, full-blooded, lineage
Fidelity - loyalty, reliability
Augment - supplement, boost, add to, bump up
Precarious - unstable, shaky, risky, uncertain
Derogatory - disparaging, critical, insulting, offensive
Onus - responsibility, burden, obligation, duty
Analogous - similar, akin, related
Expedient - measure, convenient, device, maneuver
Compliance - fulfillment, obedience
Diffident - shy, insecure, timid
Plaintive - mournful, sad, melancholic, nostalgic, lamenting
Insinuate - imply, suggest, make-out, ingratiate yourself
Misdemeanor - wrong, sin, crime, offense
Exonerate - clear, forgive, absolve
Gregarious - outgoing, extroverted, sociable, expressive, unreserved
Benign - kind, benevolent, compassionate
Attenuate - satisfy, calm, soothe, ease
Sonorous - loud, deep, resonant, echoing
Bolster - boost, strengthen, reinforce, encourage
Heterodox - unorthodox, dissenting, contrary to accepted
Restiveness - impatience, restlessness, nervousness
Effigy - image, statue, model
Retrograde - retrospective, traditional,
Sacrosanct - sacred, holy, revered
Dangle - hang down, sway, droop, swing, suspend
Cryptic -mysterious, enigmatic, puzzling, hidden
Debilitate - incapacitate, weaken, hamper, encumber, hinder
Divulge - reveal, disclose
Spendthrift - wastrel, squanderer, compulsive shopper
Indigenous -native, original, local
Erroneous - mistaken, flawed, incorrect
Minion - follower, subordinate, underling, gofer
Veracity - reality, truth, sincerity.
please go through these questions so you will find this section quite
easy. some may be repeated
1. One Rectangular plate with length 8 inches breadth 11 inches and 2
inches thickness is there. What is the length of the circular rod with
diameter 8 inches and equal to volume of rectangular plate ?
ans: 3.5 inches
2. 2 oranges, 3 bananas and 4 apples cost Rs.15 . 3 oranges 2 bananas 1
apple costs Rs 10. what is the cost of 3 oranges, 3 bananas and 3 apples
ans: Rs 15.
3. Two pencils costs 8 cents, then 5 pencils cost how much
4. A sales person multiplied a number and get the answer is 3, instead
of that number divided by 3. what is th answer he actually has to get ?
5. A stationary engine has enough fuel to move 12 hours when its tank is
4/5 full, how much hours will it run when the tank is 1/3 full
ans: 5 hours
6. A car travels 12 kms with a 4/5th filled tank. How far will the car
travel with 1/3 filled tank?
Ans. 5 kms
7. The sum of the digits of a two digit number is 8. When 18 is added to
the number, the digits are reversed. Find the number?
8. Fathers age is 5 times his son's age. 4 years back the father was 9
times older than son. Find the fathers' present age.
Ans. 40 years
9. What number should be added to or subtracted from each term of the
ratio 17 : 24 so that it becomes equal to 1 : 2.Ans. 10 should be
10. What is the 12th term of the series 2, 5, 8, --
11. If 20 men take 15 days to to complete a job, in how many days can 25
men finish that work?
Ans. 12 days
12. If Rs.1260 is divided between between A, B and C in the ratio 2:3:4,
what is C's share?
Ans. Rs. 560
13. Hansie made the following amounts in seven games of cricket in
India: Rs.10, Rs.15, Rs.21, Rs.12, Rs.18, Rs.19 and Rs.17(all figures in
crores of course). Find his average earnings.
Ans. Rs.16 crore
14. There are 150 weights .Some are 1 kg weights and some are 2 kg
weights. The sum of the weights is 260.What is the number of 1kg
15. A family, planning a weekend trip, decides to spend not more than a
total of 8 hours driving. By leaving early in the morning, they can
average 40 miles per hour on the way to their destination. Due to the
heavy Sunday traffic, they can average only 30 miles per hour on the
return trip. What is the farthest distance from home they can plan to
(a) 120 miles or less (b) Between 120and 140 miles (c) 140 miles
(d) Between 140 and 160 miles (e) 160 miles or more
16. A car is filled with four and half gallons of fuel for a round trip.
If the amount of fuel taken while going is 1/4 more than the amount
taken for coming, what is the amount of fuel consumed while coming back?
(a) Less than 2 gallons (b) 2 gallons (c) 2 1/2 gallons
(d) 3 gallons (e) More than 3 gallons
17. A 3-gallon mixture contains one part S and two parts R. In order to
change it to a mixture containing 25% S, how much R should be added?
(a) 1/2 gallon (b) 2/3 gallon (c) 3/4 gallon (d) 1 gallon (e) 1 1/2
18. Wind flows at 160 miles in 330 minutes, for traveling 80 miles how
much time does it require?
(a) 1 hour 30 minutes (b) 1 hour 45 minutes (c) 2 hours (d) 2 hours 45
minutes (e) 3 hours
19. A salesperson by mistake multiplied a number and got the answer as
3, instead of dividing the number by 3. What is the answer he should
have actually got?
(a) 0 (b) 1/3 (c) 1 (d) 2 (e) 3
20. In the class of 40 students, 30 speak Hindi and 20 speak English.
What is the lowest possible number of students who speak both the
(a) 5 (b) 20 (c) 15 (d) 10 (e) 30
21. One year ago Pandit was three times his sister's age. Next year he
will be only twice her age. How old will Pandit be after five years?
(a) 8 (b) 12 (c) 11 (d) 13 (e) 15
22. A moves 3 kms east from his starting point. He then travels 5 kms
north. From that point he moves 8 kms to the east.How far is A from his
Ans. 13 kms
23. Fathers age is 5 times his son's age. 4 years back the father was 9
times older than son.Find the fathers' present age.
Ans. 40 years
24. if the word 'ddosszm' is changed to 'central' then what will be the
change for 'rtjbl' ?
25. what is the largest prime number in 8 digit number?
26. the word unimpressive was given.they asked us to do change 1st &
2nd,3rd & 4th,so on.then they asked what will be 10th letter from right?
27. the plane question was asked.it took off from 7 degree 53' 6.1'' and
landed at 8 degree 6' 43.5''.it takes 12 hours to travel between these
points.then what will be local time at destination ?[just follow
previous ques paper the problem was same
28. g=1,g=-1,g[n]=2*g[n-1]-3*g[n-2] then calculate g= ?
29. the series was asked : 5,6,7,8,10,11,14,-?
30. they asked the temperature problem.it was same as previous
papers.the ratio was -t*t/6+4t+12.
31. the matrix of a(7,9) was given.the address of the first byte of
a(1,1)=1258.it takes 4 bytes to store the nuymber.then calculate the
address of the last byte of a(5,8)
32. the program requires 4000(n)1/2 [ie square root of n].if size of
program was increased by 1% then calculate the percentage change in size
33. modulo(373,7)+round(5.8)+truncat(7.2)-round(3.4) = ?
ans : 12
34. (imp) the bucket size is 10KB.it takes 0.0001 KB/milisec to fill
bucket.the bucket takes 100 or 1000 milisec to reach to destination.it
takes 100 milisec to pass acknowledgement from dest to source.so
calculate how much time will it take to pass N KB, write formula.
35. the graph was given.the x and y axes were there.the line is
intersecting them. the points of intersection were y=3,x=0 and
x=-2,y=0.write the equation of line.
36. the decimal number was given.it was converted to other system.they
asked to identify the system.i.e. octal,hexadecimal.
37. Satish earns 240 weekly.12% of big amount + earning weekly =
540.What is the big amount?
a) 3200 b) 3600 c) 2500 d) 1000
Sol : c
38.There is a six-letter word UGANDA. How many ways u can arrange the
letters in the word in such a way that both A's are together. Ans) 120
39.If two cards are taken one after another without replacing from a
pack of cards. What will be the probability for 2 cards to be drawn? Ans)
40. In a two-dimensional array, X (9, 7), with each element occupying 4
bytes of memory, with the address of the first element X (1, 1) is 3000;
find the address of X (8, 5).
41. In the word ORGANISATIONAL, if the first and second, third and
forth, forth and fifth, fifth and sixth words are interchanged up to the
last letter, what would be the tenth letter from right?
42. Select the odd one out..-a. Java b. Lisp c. Smalltalk d. Eiffel.
43. Select the odd one out a. SMTP b. WAP c. SAP d. ARP
44. Select the odd one out a. Oracle b. Linux c. Ingress d. DB2
45. Select the odd one out a. WAP b. HTTP c. BAAN d. ARP
46. Select the odd one out a. LINUX b. UNIX c. SOLARIS d. SQL SEVER
47. Select the odd one out a. SQL b. DB2 c. SYBASE d. HTTP
48. If TAFJHH is coded as RBEKGI then RBDJK can be coded as?
49. G(0)= -1, G(1)=1, G(N)=G(N-1) - G(N-2), G(5)= ?
50. A power unit is there by the bank of the river of 750 meters width.
A cable is made from power unit to power plant opposite to that of the
river and 1500mts away from the power unit.The cost of the cable below
water is Rs.15/- per meter and cost of cable on the bank is Rs.12/-per
meter. Find the total of laying the cable.
51. In Madras, temperature at noon varies according to -t^2/2 + 8t + 3,
where t is elapsed time. Find how much temperature more or less in 4pm
52. Which of the following are orthogonal pairs?
a. 3i+2j b. i+j c. 2i-3j d. -7i+j
53. If A, B and C are the mechanisms used separately to reduce the
wastage of fuel by 30%, 20% and 10%.What will be the fuel economy if
they were used combined.
54. What is the power of 2? a. 2068 b.2048 c.2668
55. A, B and C are 8 bit no's. They are as follows:
A -> 1 1 0 1 1 0 1 1
B -> 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 0
C -> 0 1 1 0 1 1 0 1
Find ((A-B) u C)=?
56. A is twice efficient than B. A and B can both work together to
complete a work in 7 days. Then find in how many days, A alone can
complete the work?
57. (Momentum*Velocity)/(Acceleration * distance). Find units.
58. Which of the following set of numbers has the highest Standard
a)1,0,1,0,1,0 b) -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1
c)1,1,1,1,1,1 d) 1,1,0, -1,0, -1
59. 3 angles or 3 sides r given.Which will form a triangle?
60. Venn Diagram kinda ques.
Some know English, some French, some German....how many know two
61. Bar Diagram, Pie Chart (similar to Data interpretation)
62. if n=68*12*51, whaich one is not a integer
1.n/102, 2.n/72, 3. n/153, 4.n/136 5. n/244
63. no.of vertices,edges, faces are given.which one among these best
suits for the solid planner cube.
12, 8, 6 6 ,8 ,12 4 , 8, 12 8 ,12, 6
64. Which one among have higher deviation:1. 7,0,-7, 7,0,-7 2.
3. 7,-7,7,-7,7,-7 4. 7,7,7,7,7,7
65. match the box
a.scooter---automobile a.super set of
b.oxygen---water b.not a type of
c.shopfloorstaff----filters c.a type of
d. bug---reptile d.part of
IIIrd Section Critical Reasioning
this section is little bit tough and mostly it depend on your luck that
what question you get.
(3 Problems and 12 questions (4 question for each problem))
please go through these questions in BARRON'S GRE 12TH EDITION model
1) 2 types of marriage problem (Red - Brown).
2) Dog's problem.... .... ..(name of the dogs) won the top of four
3) Wallaci... And Rumania are delicates from this two countries are ..-
4) East liver pool Problem(6 cities) ChetanaS
5) University College Problem (j , k, l,..) Small college big
6) Pesth(Plumber and electracian)
7) One problem with number series (squares and cubes)
8) Joes apartment problem
9) US citizen (US born , Naturalized)problem
10) Scurvy problem (disease)
11) Mirmar hotel
after half an hour I got my written result and i fill the the form. my
interview is on next day.
Technical and HR & finally MR
In technical they shoot questions only in what u mentioned in Resume..
you must be a master in SQL they also ask general questions from your
Technical Interview (20-25 min mostly depend on person and your luck)
I was interviewed for only 10 minutes.
So Be prepared with ur resume..-
1. They asked introduce yourself
I gave intro..
2. They asked some questions in C, software engg.,DBMS
Query for selecting a tuple in a table.
3. About my projects which I had mentioned in Resume..
Then they say me for waiting some time
please take your pen with you ,coz i forgot mine that's all in
After some time I get call for HR
1) How are you feeling????????
2) How was your day??????
3) Have you taken your breakfast???????
4) What you have taken in breakfast??????
5) If we send you at any location in India or abroad you will go or
6) tell me something about you that is not in resume???????
7) If we give you any assignment you will accept or not???????
than she told me that You are bonded for 2 years with TCS and if you
break it then you have to pay 50000/- rs to us And we can place you any
city in India there you have to do coding work on project you are ready
I say yes......
this is all i was asked I did not get a call for MR
On next day night the results were announced and my name was there in
BEST OF LUCK FOR YOUR PLACEMENT.