TATA CONSULTANCY SERVICES
Paper Type : Whole Testpaper
Test Date : 18 March 2008
Test Location : B.V.M. Engg Colg
TCS PAPER ON 18th MARCH 2008.
Hi ,I am Hardik B Korat, a computer engg. student of BIRLA VISHWAKARMA
MAHAVIDHYALAYA, Vallabh Vidhya nagar… I would like to share my
expereince during TCS On-Campus Interview.
TCS written test is easy if u concentrate little on it.
· Read previous 10 paper and I m sure that u will clear written test……
· There is no negative markings, no upper cut off, no sectional cut off
· But there is sectional time cut off, as there is online test.
There are basically 3 parts in written
a) Verbal :
There prepare antonyms and synonyms from previous papers. After that two
paragraphs are given in that section. Totally 32 marks in this section.
Concentrate little in this part because this is some what difficult to
answer depend much on luck.
b) Arithmetic ability:
This is the easiest section where we can get good score. It is enough to
prepare previous papers, they just change the digits and the model is
same. There are some problems from Bar and Pie Chart. If u score above
32 out of 38, I m damm sure that u will clear the written.
Few were like….
1. 58, 27, 12, __, 2 .
Sol. 27*2+4 = 58, 12*2+3 = 27, 5*2+2 = 12, 2*2+1 = 5, 1*2+0 = 2 ….ans =
2. How the given string how many Y’s are followed by L that are not
followed by PYLYPQMYLPMLYLLYQMYYLQYLPLYAMLYLM Sol. Only count those pair
by YL and discard pairs of YLP ……..ans =4.
3. First & second, third and fourth, fifth and sixth letter of word
SENSATIONALY are interchanged find the 12th letter form right.
Sol. The interchanged word is ESSNTAIONALY. Now start counting frm Right
the 12th letter is E.
4. What is the largest prime number which can be stored in 6 bit
Sol. As the register is 6 bit long we can store max number 63 (if all
bits are 1).But 63 is not prime the largest prime number is 61.
Ans = 61.
5) Number of faces, vertices and edges of a cube
Ans. 6, 8, 12
6. If g(0) = 1, g(1) = -1 and g(n) = g(n-1)-g(n-2) then calculate g(6).
Sol. Start with g(2) = g(1) + g(0) = -1 - 1 = -2, g(3) = g(2) + g(1) =
-2+1 = -1, g(4) = g(3) + g(2) = -1+1 = 0, g(5) = g(4) + g(3) = 0+1 = 1,
g(6) = g(5) + g(4) = 1-0 = 1
ans = 1.
7. which of the following heaving highest standard deviation.
a. 9,0,9,0,9,0 b. 9,-9,0,9,0,-9 c. 9,-9,9,-9,9,-9 d. 9,9,9,9,9,9
Ans. C, standard deviation is 18(i.e. the difference between two
consecutive terms is highest).
8. Find the result of the following expression- M (737, 7) +R (3.4) +T
(7. 7)-R (6.4) if, M denotes modules operation, R denotes round-off, T
Sol): 2+3+7-6 = 6
9. In a city, temperature at noon varies according to -t^2/6 + 4t + 12,
where t is elapsed time. Find the percentage change in temperature from
3pm. to 6 pm.
Sol): In equation first put t=3,
we will get 25.5........................... (1)
Now put t=6,
we will get 42.............................. (2)
So %change = ((42-25.5)/42)*100)
10. Find d Odd one out? a. Oracle b. Linux c. Ingress d. DB2
Ans. All other except Linux which is an operating system are Database
C) Critical Reasoning:
In this section there will be 3 passages and questions on it. So, we
have to prepare the GRE Barron’s book either 12th or 13th edition. All
will come from that only.
Out of 250 students, 150 cleared written test…. So, all the best guys…..
Next I had Technical round on 19th march 2008.
For this prepare well your academic subjects. They can ask on any one
and u should able to answer. I have prepared just C, C++, DS.
Take care that ur resume is the best if ur technical knowledge is not
much good. Add something in ur resume that attracts interviewer to ask
If u lead ur interview in the way u want, it would impress the
We were having presentation of t.c.s. at 9.30 am. in morning. Please
attend this presentation. My turn came at 12.20pm.
I was first to be interviewed in my block. Be confident, they don’t see
whether u are best in technical or not. They will definitely select u,
if u have positive approach and confidence.
The interviewer called me and started interview…
· Interviewer will judge u within a minute u enter the room. So be
confident and show them that u will fit best in their company.
· Please take care to wish the interviewer properly.
· tell me about urself ?
· 3 ques on dbms? (like dml, rdbms…).
· Strength, weakness? (explained all well).
· Explain Hacking? (que was asked as I had mentioned in my resume—explined
for 6 min).
· Ques on wi-fi tech, online file sharing, code ragging- all included in
my resume. (explained all well, thus spent 15 min).
· Be prepared for ques like- why tcs?, why should we select u?, which
position in tcs?
· Please do ask a question at last if interviewer tells “do u have any
Blockwise results were declared, nd I got result at 2pm. Out of 150
students 70 cleared technical round.
On same day at 2.30pm, I had filled a form and was called at hr
interview. There were more technical ques compared to hr. ques.
In this round u will get the same questions as have been asked till now
“tell me abt urself “
“ ur family background “
Ques from subjects other than fav. Subjects.
How current is produced?
How is flux produced?
What are registers?
“I was shocked by these ques…”
Sir-which work would u prefer in tcs?
Sir- have u coded anything till now.
Me (not coded yet still) – ya sir, I have prepared a game of tic tac
Sir- explain code for that?
I prepared code and explained it for 15 minutes.
Sir was definitely impressed.
Sir-“are u mobile?”
Me –“u can throw me anywhere in the world, I cud fit anywhere”.
I asked reasons why tcs firing 500 employees?
Sir-“they were not knowing basics of electronics”
Me-“sir u can not fire a person without hiring them”
Sir laughed .
Say thanks to sir while leaving.
It was informed on next day that Total 33 were selected out of 70 that
appeared in H.R. interview.
Do perform well nd all d best for ur future………