TATA CONSULTANCY SERVICES
Paper Type : Whole Testpaper
Test Date : 16 January 2008
Test Location : UIT - RGPV, BHOPAL
TCS PAPER ON 16th JANUARY AT BHOPAL
Hello friends! I had day1 company as TCS on january 15 th , 2008 in our
college. Nearly 283 students attended for online test, out of which 121
were short listed for interview.
Complete tcs selection procedure consists of :
3)H.R. or M.R. round
Online test consisted of 3 sections verbal, quantitative and critical
Total time duration was 90 minutes.
Verbal Ė 30 questions 20 minutes.
Quantitative Ė 32 questions 40 minutes
Critical reasoning Ė 3 puzzles with 4 questions each for 30 minutes.
Verbal consisted of 10 synonyms, 10 antonyms, 5 sentence completion, and
a reading comprehension with 5 questions. Synonyms and antonyms were
quite difficult, but sentence completion and reading comprehension was
easy to get through if u carefully analyze and answer. It is good to be
thorough with 400 high frequency words.
Quant section was simple enough. All the previous year questions are
repeated. The following questions are some sample questions that I
solved in the test.
1) Complete the series 7, 9 , 13 , __ , 27, 37
2) What is the largest prime number that can be stored in an 8-bit
3) Number of faces, vertices and edges of a cube
4) In a triangle which one is not possible. Sides are (5 ,5 ,5.), (5 ,4
,5 ), (4 ,4, 9 ), (3,4 ,5,)?
ANS: (4,4,9) (HINT : for a triangle sum of smaller 2 sides should be
greater than the other one which is larger)
5) Match the following:
1. Male - Boy a. A type of
2. Square - Polygon b. A part of
3. Roof - Building c. Not a type of
4. Mushroom Ė Vegetables d. A superset of
Ans: 1- d, 2- a, 3- b, 4- c
6) Given $ means Tripling and % means change of sign then find the value
of $%$6-%$%6 ?
ANS : -72
7) My flight takes of at 2am from a place at 18N 10E and landed 10 Hrs
later at a place with coordinates 36N 70W. What is the local time when
my plane landed.
a) 6:00 am b) 6:40am c) 7:40 d) 7:00 e) 8:00 (Hint : Every 1 deg
longitude is equal to 4 minutes . If west to east add time else subtract
ANS: (e) 8:00
8) In a two-dimensional array, X (9, 7), with each element occupying 4
bytes of memory, with the address of the first element X (1, 1) is 3000,
find the address of X (8, 5).
9) Select the odd one out. a. Java b. Lisp c. Smalltalk d. Eiffel.
10) In which of the system, decimal number 194 is equal to 1234?
11) A power unit is there by the bank of the river of 750 meters width.
A cable is made from power unit to power a plant opposite to that of the
river and 1500mts away from the power unit. The cost of the cable below
water is Rs. 15/- per meter and cost of cable on the bank is Rs.12/- per
meter. Find the total of laying the cable.
12) Which of the following are orthogonal pairs? a. 3i+2j b. i+j c.
2i-3j d. -7i+j
ANS: (A) & (C).
13) If VXUPLVH is written as SURMISE, what is SHDVD?
14) If A, B and C are the mechanisms used separately to reduce the
wastage of fuel by 30%, 20% and 10%. What will be the fuel economy if
they were used combined.
15) A can copy 50 papers in 10 hours while both A & B can copy 70 papers
in 10 hours. Then for how many hours required for B to copy 26 papers?
16) Find the singularity matrix from a given set of matrices? (Hint
17) units of basic quantities :
(energy * time * time)/(mass * dist) = distance
18) For a round trip, a car used 4 1/2 gallons of gasoline. If it used
1/4 more gasoline going than coming back, how much gasoline was used
Ans: 2 gallons
19)A shopkeeper bought a watch for Rs.400 and sold it for Rs.500.What is
his profit percentage?
20)g=1,g=-1,g[n]=2*g[n-1]-3*g[n-2] then calculate g=
21) .The ratio of boys to girls is 6:4.60% of the boys and 40% of girls
take lunch in the canteen.What % of class takes lunch?
22) Which of the following set of numbers has the highest Standard
a)1,0,1,0,1,0 b) -1, -1, -1, -1, -1, -1
c)1,1,1,1,1,1 d) -1,1,-1, 1,-1, 1
23) (momentum * velocity)/(force * time) = velocity
24-27) there were 3 questions on venn diagrams (like 20 spek eng,30
speak hindi 3 speak both and so onÖ.)
28-32)5 questions based on 1 piechart (data interpretation).
CRITICAL REASONING: ( 3 puzzles with 4 questions each)
1) Some seating arrangement problem like there were 6 people A, B, C, D,
E, F sitting in a table they all are agricultural minister, health
minister, education minister and so on. The hints proceed like this. 1)
A sits 2 seats away from D. 2) agricultural minister cannot sit near
health minister. And some 3 more hints (I donít remember) using the
hints given in the question U have to trace out their seating position
in a round table and have to answer 5 questions based on it.
2) all Pís are Qís, some Rís are Qís , all Pís are EísÖ..so on. With
these hints u can draw a venn digram and answer the following 5
questions. All the questions are from GRE Barron model papers (12 th ,13
th edition) so just solve all those. (Just mug up the answers.)
3) barons gre 12 edition page 496 Ashland is north of east liverpool
Good Afternoon Sir
SIR: Have seat
ME: thank you very much sir
SIR: Tell me about yourself.
Me: I said my name, my college name, my degree, about my family and my
hobbies, some of my positive qualities, my role model.
Sir: What are your core subjects that u have learnt so far?
Me: I am an EC student I said all my core subjects.
Sir: What are the different types of Topologies?, what are merits
&demerits of each?
Me: Mesh topology, star topology, Tree topology, Bus topology, partial
<!--[endif]-->Sir: what is the Topology used in ur college?
Me: I said it is star topology.
<!--[endif]-->Sir: implement bubble sort in c using pointers?
Me: I made it.
<!--[endif]-->Sir: what are header & circular link list.
Me: I explained with an example.
Sir: what are different data structures & how & where do we use them?
Me: I explained
Sir: what are operational amplifier ( inverting , non inverting ,
summer, integrator, differentiator)?
Me: I explained.
Sir: what are flip flops & logic gates?( they can tell any function to
Me: I explained .
HR ROUND :
Sir: Why TCS?
Me: TCS gives Experience certainty, I came to know that it has a good
work environment and the employees get a good respect. It has various
initial and continuous learning programs which will help me a lot in
learning new skills and updating myself with latest technologies hence I
Sir: DHEERAJ you are from Bhopal can u tell the history of Bhopal ?
Me: I told.
Sir: Tell me about famous Bhopal Gas tragedy?
Me: I told.
Sir: Tell me about famous historical temples , about kings, dates etc ?
Me: I told.
Sir: Do u have anything to ask us?
Me: I have 1 more year to complete my course what do u expect me to do
in this 1 year to fit in to your organization?
I was almost sure that I will get placed and as expected I got selected.
Out of 121 who attended the interview 48 got placed.
Speak very polite and be confident in the interview. Donít try answering
the question that you really donít know. Be very careful with the
resumes keep it as simple as you can .
Three suggestions from my side for an interview
1 donít bluff
2 for Godís sake donít bluff
3 for your own sake donít bluff
ALL THE VERY BEST. MEET YOU IN TCS
DHEERAJ ASSUDANI (UIT Ė RGPV)