TATA CONSULTANCY SERVICES
Paper Type : Whole Testpaper
Test Date : 14 March 2008
Test Location : C.V.Raman College of Engineering , Bhubaneswar
TCS PAPER ON 14th MARCH AT BHUBANESWAR
Hi everyone! I am Mukul and I got thru TCS in an on campus drive in my
college where they recruited 130 students . I am from Electrical Branch.
Package was 3.15 L for B.tech and 3.35 L for MCA and 2 yrs Bond. It was
a two day process in my college Written Test was conducted on 14th
......out of 340 eligible candidates 248 were selected for Interview
round. A combined Technical plus HR interview was conducted on 15th
..........130 out of 248 were finally selected.
I wud like to share my experience wid all of u .The paper as usual
consisted of 3 sections-
1) VERBAL ( 20 minutes – 32 questions )
2) APTITUDE ( 40 minutes – 35 questions )
3) CRITICAL REASONING ( 30 minutes – 12 questions )
In this section there were 10 SYNONYMS, 10 ANTONYMS. Also,A long para
was given with some blanks n options were given to fill the blanks(abt
Prepare this section frm BARRON'S 12th edition.
Only 333 high frequency words , antonyms chapter , all model test paper
antonyms and 750 words from Wordlist is sufficient.
In this almost all the ques. were frm previous yrs. papers. Ques.
pattern was the same just the DATA gets changed.If u solve ques. frm old
papers of TCS u can do this section with ease.
ques r frm :
Work and time , singularity matrix , word coding , row major n column
major , odd one out , base conversion , series completion , flight
problems , orthogonal pairs , general curves , matching pairs venn
diagram , pie charts , bar charts , average n many more questions from
previous year papers……….
1.What is the largest prime number stored in a—
a) 6 bit pattern (ANS~2^6=64,So no is 61)
b) 7 bit pattern (ANS~2^7=128, So no is 127)
c) 8 bit pattern (ANS~2^8=256, So no is 251)
d) 9 bit pattern (ANS~2^9=512, So no is 503
2.If G(0)= -1, G(1)=1, G(N)=G(N-1)-G(N-2), then find-
a) G(2)=? b) G(3)=? c) G(4)=? d) G(5)=? e) G(6)=?
3.Which is not a TRIANGLE—
# a) (2m,3m,4m) b) (3m,4m,7m) c) (3m,5m,9m)
# a) (30’,60’,80’) b) (40’,60’,50’) c) (60’,30’,90’)
4.Which is the exact power of 2 —
Choice : a)2048 b)2068 c)2668 d)2408
5.CODING & DECODING—
a)QJFBTF=PLEASE then HBJO=?
b)TAFJHH=RBEKGI then RBDJK=?
c)TUBUJPO=STATION then FILTER=?
6.Interchange 1st & 2nd ,3rd & 4th , and so on, of the words
“UNIMPRESSIVE” & then find 10th letter a)to the left b)from the left
7.Select odd one out—
a)SQL Server,Ingress,Oracle,DB2,Java [ ANS=Java ]
bSMPT,ARP,WAP,HTTP,BAAN [ ANS=BAAN ]
c)Sybase,Windows NT,Linux,mvs,Java [ ANS=Java ]
d)Smalltalk,Eiffel,Lisp,Java [ ANS= ]
e)SQL,DB2,SYBASE,HTTP [ ANS=HTTP ]
f)SMPT,WAP,SAP,ARP [ ANS=SAP ]
g)Oracle,Linux,Ingress,DB2 [ ANS=LINUX ]
h)Linux,Unix,Solaries,SQL Server [ ANS=SQL Server ]
8.Find the value of—
a) @@+25-++@16, where @ denotes ”square” & + denotes “square root”.
b) $%$6-%$%6, where $ means “tripling” & % means “change of sign”.
c) % # % 6 + # %# 6, % means “doubling” & # means “reciprocal”.
9.In a two-dimensional array, X (9, 7), with each element occupying 4
bytes of memory, with the address of the first element X (1, 1) is 3000,
find the address of X (8, 5). [ ANS= 3212 ] [ HINT~ Formula=Base Add +
where, Base Add=3000; Byte reqd=4; N=no of coulumns in array=7; i=8;
[ IN ROW MAJOR ORDER ]
10. My flight takes of at 2am from a place at 18N 10E and landed 10 Hrs
later at a place with coordinates 36N70W. What is the local time when my
11. The size of a program is N. And the memory occupied by the program
is given by M = square root of 100N. If the size of the program is
increased by 1% then how much memory now occupied?
12.A man, a woman, and a child can do a piece of work in 6 days. Man
only can do it in 16 days. Woman can do it in 24 days and in how many
days child can do the same work?
13.Number of faces, vertices and edges of a cube ANS:6,8,12
14. Find the result of the following _expression if, M denotes modulus
operation, R denotes round-off, T denotes truncation:
15. A power unit is there by the bank of the river of 750 meters width.
A cable is made from power unit to power a plant opposite to that of the
river and 1500mts away from the power unit. The cost of the cable below
water is Rs. 15/- per meter and cost of cable on the bank is Rs.12/- per
meter. Find the total of laying the cable.
16. In Madras , temperature at noon varies according to -t^2/2 + 8t + 3,
where t is elapsed time. Find how much temperature more or less in 4pm
17.The size of the bucket is N kb. The bucket fills at the rate of 0.1
kb per millisecond. A programmer sends a program to receiver. There it
waits for 10 milliseconds. And response will be back to programmer in 20
milliseconds. How much time the program takes to get a response back to
the programmer, after it is sent?
18. If A, B and C are the mechanisms used separately to reduce the
wastage of fuel by 30%, 20% and 10%. What will be the fuel economy if
they were used combined.
19. Which of the following are orthogonal pairs? a. 3i+2j b. i+j c.
2i-3j d. -7i+j
20.A is twice efficient than B. A and B can both work together to
complete a work in 7 days. Then find in how many days A alone can
complete the work?
21. Find the singularity matrix from a given set of matrices?(Hint det(A)=0)
find the decimal value of (AU(b-c))
23.there was one pi chart and 4 qs are baised on it...easy one
24. there was one bar graph and 4 qs are baised on it...
25. find units: (Momentum*Velocity)/(Acceleration * distance )
26. Which of the following set of numbers has the highest Standard
27. What curve best suits the following data:
(a) y = logn x (b) y = log10 x (c) y = ex (d) y = -log10 x (e) y = - ex
28. Of the four straight lines A, B, C, D find out which pair forms an
A: 5x+4y-7 = 0, B: y = -x , C: y = 7x+3, D: 4x = 5y+5
(a)AD (b) AC (c) BC (d) BD (e)AB
29. Three independent mechanisms A, B and C have been incorporated for
power saving in a plant producing respectively 30%, 40% and 10%
efficiency. Assuming that they operate independently, what is the net
power efficiency achieved.
(a) 62.2% (b) 68% (c) 61% (d) 64% (e) 56%
30.COUNTERFEIT in 80 coins one coin is counterfiet what is minimum
number of weighings to find out counterfiet coin
31.Match the following:
1. Male - Boy ---> a. A type of
2. Square - Polygon ---> b. A part of
3. Roof - Building ---> c. Not a type of
4. Mushroom - Vegetables ---> d. A superset of
32.. One year ago Pandit was three times his sister's age. He will be
only twice her age next year. How old will Pandit be after five years?
a) 8 b) 12 c) 11 d) 13
Model test paper 1 : Section 5 : question 1-4
Section 6 : question 1-4
Model test paper 2 : Section 1 : question 1-4
section 6 : question 1-4
Model test paper 3 : Section 5 : question 1-4
Section 6 : question 8-11
Model test paper 4 : Section 5 : question1-4
Section 6 : question 1-4
question 8-12 ( may change to Indian languages as mine was d case .)
Model test paper 5 : Section 3 :
Section 7 : question 1-5
Technical + HR interview
My questions were :
1) Did u take ur lunch ?
2) What did u take….was it enough 4 u ?
3) Tell me abt urself .
4) Which subjects do u know ?
5) Any languages ?
6) What r d differences between C and C++ ?
7) Programs on string reversal and prime number.
8) Program on bubble sort.
9) Abt operator overloading.
10) What is d principle of a dc generator ?
11) Difference between a 5V battery and a capacitor of 5V .
12) Principle of motor used in a ceiling fan .
13) Advantages of HVDC and EHV transmission lines.
14) Explain thevenin theorem.
15) Why IT being Electrical ?
16) Why tcs ?
17) About my achievements.
18) Anything not mentioned in CV .
19) Why I shall I take u ?
20) U know only c,c+ so how can u exist in software field ?
21) About my hometown.
22) Any question u want to ask ?
Few Tips :
1) Be clear with everything in ur CV.
2) Be calm,humble and cheerful throughout ur intrvw ( show no sign of
3) Don’t bluff , they r very smart, they will catch u.
4) Try to support ur answers with examples , they’ll b impressed.
5) Try not 2 get argumentative.
All the best to all tcs aspirants!! Above all I think god’s grace alone
is sufficient 4 us to make the interview a success…
All the very best 4 ur future!!do well . SEE U IN TCS