Job Placement Papers (All Companies)
ICICI Placement Paper
1. If 2x-y=4 then 6x-3y=? (a)15 (b)12 (c)18 (d)10 Ans. (b)
If x=y=2z and xyz=256 then what is the value of x?
(a)12 (b)8 (c)16 (d)6 Ans. (b)
3. (1/10)18 - (1/10)20 = ?
(a) 99/1020 (b) 99/10 (c) 0.9 (d) none of these Ans. (a)
4. Pipe A can fill in 20 minutes and Pipe B in 30 mins and Pipe C can empty the same in 40 mins.If all of them work together, find the time taken to fill the tank
(a) 17 1/7 mins (b) 20 mins (c) 8 mins (d) none of these Ans. (a)
5. Thirty men take 20 days to complete a job working 9 hours a day.How many hour a day should 40 men work to complete the job?
(a) 8 hrs (b) 7 1/2 hrs (c) 7 hrs (d) 9 hrs Ans. (b)
6. . Find the smallest number in a GP whose sum is 38 and product 1728
(a) 12 (b) 20 (c) 8 (d) none of these Ans. (c)
7. A boat travels 20 kms upstream in 6 hrs and 18 kms downstream in 4 hrs.Find the speed of the boat in still water and the speed of the water current?
(a) 1/2 kmph (b) 7/12 kmph (c) 5 kmph (d) none of these Ans. (b)
8. A goat is tied to one corner of a square plot of side 12m by a rope 7m long.Find the area it can graze?
(a) 38.5 sq.m (b) 155 sq.m (c) 144 sq.m (d) 19.25 sq.m Ans. (a)
9. Mr. Shah decided to walk down the escalator of a tube station. He found that if he walks down 26 steps, he requires 30 seconds to reach the bottom. However, if he steps down 34 stairs he would only require 18 seconds to get to the bottom. If the time is measured from the moment the top step begins to descend to the time he steps off the last step at the bottom, find out the height of the stair way in steps?
10. The average age of 10 members of a committee is the same as it was 4 years ago, because an old member has been replaced by a young member. Find how much younger is the new member ? Ans.40 years.
11. Three containers A, B and C have volumes a, b, and c respectively; and container A is full of water while the other two are empty. If from container A water is poured into container B which becomes 1/3 full, and into container C which becomes 1/2 full, how much water is left in container A?
12. ABCE is an isosceles trapezoid and ACDE is a rectangle. AB = 10 and EC = 20. What is the length of AE? Ans. AE = 10
13. In the given figure, PA and PB are tangents to the circle at A and B respectively and the chord BC is parallel to tangent PA. If AC = 6 cm, and length of the tangent AP is 9 cm, then what is the length of the chord BC? Ans. BC = 4 cm.
14. Three cards are drawn at random from an ordinary pack of cards. Find the probability that they will consist of a king, a queen and an ace. Ans. 64/2210
15. A number of cats got together and decided to kill between them 999919 mice. Every cat killed an equal number of mice. Each cat killed more mice than there were cats. How many cats do you think there were ? Ans. 991.
16. If Log2 x - 5 Log x + 6 = 0, then what would the value / values of x be?
Ans. x = e2 or e3.
In june a baseball team that played 60 games had won 30% of its game played.
After a phenomenal winning streak this team raised its average to 50% .How
many games must the team have won in a row to attain this average?
A. 12 B. 20 C. 24 D. 30 (Ans. C)
18. .Can you tender a one rupee note in such a manner that there shall be total 50 coins but none of them would be 2 paise coins.? Ans. 45 one paisa coins, 2 five paise coins, 2 ten paise coins, and 1 twenty-five paise coins.
19. A monkey starts climbing up a tree 20ft. tall. Each hour, it hops 3ft. and slips back 2ft. How much time would it take the monkey to reach the top? Ans.18 hours.
20. What is the missing number in this series? 8 2 14 6 11 ? 14 6 18 12 Ans. 9
21. A certain type of mixture is prepared by mixing brand A at Rs.9 a kg. with brand B at Rs.4 a kg. If the mixture is worth Rs.7 a kg., how many kgs. of brand A are needed to make 40kgs. of the mixture? Ans. Brand A needed is 24kgs.
A wizard named Nepo says "I am only three times my son's
age. My father is 40 years more than twice my age. Together the three of
us are a mere 1240 years old." How old is Nepo?
Ans. 360 years old.
23. One dog tells the other that there are two dogs in front of me. The other one also shouts that he too had two behind him. How many are they? Ans. Three
24. A man ate 100 bananas in five days, each day eating 6 more than the previous day. How many bananas did he eat on the first day? Ans. Eight.
25. If it takes five minutes to boil one egg, how long will it take to boil four eggs?
Ans. Five minutes.
26. The minute hand of a clock overtakes the hour hand at intervals of 64 minutes of correct time. How much a day does the clock gain or lose? Ans. 32 8/11 minutes.
27. Solve for x and y: 1/x - 1/y = 1/3, 1/x2 + 1/y2 = 5/9. Ans. x = 3/2 or -3 and y = 3 or -3/2.
28. Daal is now being sold at Rs. 20 a kg. During last month its rate was Rs. 16 per kg. By how much percent should a family reduce its consumption so as to keep the expenditure fixed? Ans. 20 %.
29. Find the least value of 3x + 4y if x2y3 = 6. Ans. 10.
30. Can you find out what day of the week was January 12, 1979? Ans. Friday.
31. A garrison of 3300 men has provisions for 32 days, when given at a rate of 850 grams per head. At the end of 7 days a reinforcement arrives and it was found that now the provisions will last 8 days less, when given at the rate of 825 grams per head. How, many more men can it feed? Ans. 1700 men.
From 5 different green balls, four different blue balls and
three different red balls, how many combinations of balls can be chosen
taking at least one green and one blue ball?
33. Three pipes, A, B, & C are attached to a tank. A & B can fill it in 20 & 30 minutes respectively while C can empty it in 15 minutes. If A, B & C are kept open successively for 1 minute each, how soon will the tank be filled? Ans. 167 minutes.
34. A person walking 5/6 of his usual rate is 40 minutes late. What is his usual time? Ans. 3 hours 20 minutes.
35. For a motorist there are three ways going from City A to City C. By way of bridge the distance is 20 miles and toll is $0.75. A tunnel between the two cities is a distance of 10 miles and toll is $1.00 for the vehicle and driver and $0.10 for each passenger. A two-lane highway without toll goes east for 30 miles to city B and then 20 miles in a northwest direction to City C.
. Which is the shortest route from B to C
The most economical way of going from City A to City B, in
terms of toll and distance is to use the
Jim usually drives alone from City C to City A every
working day. His firm deducts a percentage of employee pay for lateness.
Which factor would most influence his choice of the bridge or the tunnel ?
In choosing between the use of the bridge and the tunnel
the chief factor(s) would be: I. Traffic and road
conditions II. Number of passengers in the car
(a) I only (b) II only (c) II and III only
(d) III and IV only
The letters A, B, C, D, E, F and G, not necessarily in that
order, stand for seven consecutive integers from 1 to 10, D is 3 less than
A, B is the middle term
The fifth integer is
2. A is as much greater than F as which integer is less than G
(a) A (b) B (c) C (d) D (e) E Ans. (a)
If A = 7, the sum of E and G is
A - F = ?
An integer T is as much greater than C as C is greater than
E. T can be written as A + E. What is D?
The greatest possible value of C is how much greater than
the smallest possible value of D? (a) 2 (b) 3 (c) 4 (d) 5 (e)
6 Ans. (a)
1. All G's are H's
If no P's are K's, which of the following must be true?
Which of the following can be logically deduced from the
Which of the following is inconsistent with one or more of
The statement "No L's are J's" is
(e) Neither I, II nor III Ans. (a)
38. In country X, democratic, conservative and justice parties have fought three civil wars in twenty years. TO restore stability an agreement is reached to rotate the top offices President, Prime Minister and Army Chief among the parties so that each party controls one and only one office at all times. The three top office holders must each have two deputies, one from each of the other parties. Each deputy must choose a staff composed of equally members of his or her chiefs party and member of the third party.
When Justice party holds one of the top offices, which of
the following cannot be true
When the democratic party holds presidency, the staff of
the prime minister's deputies are composed
(d) I and II or I and III (e) None of these Ans. (a)
Which of the following is allowable under the rules as stated:
The office of the Army Chief passes from Conservative to Justice
party. Which of the following must be fired.
In recommendations to the board of trustees a tuition increase of $500 per
year, the president of the university said "There were no student
demonstrations over the previous increases of $300 last year and $200 the
year before". If the president's statement is accurate then which of the
following can be validly inferred from the information given:
The office staff of XYZ corporation
presently consists of three bookeepers--A, B, C and 5 secretaries D, E, F,
G, H. The management is planning to open a new office in another city using
2 bookeepers and 3 secretaries of the present staff . To do so they plan to
seperate certain individuals who don't function well together. The following
guidelines were established to set up the new office
.If A is to be moved as one of the bookeepers,which of the
following cannot be a possible working unit.
If C and F are moved to the new office,how many
combinations are possible
If C is sent to the new office,which member of the staff
cannot go with C
Under the guidelines developed,which of the following must
go to the new office
If D goes to the new office,which of the following is/are
A.I only B.II only C.I and II only D.I and III only Ans.D
After months of talent searching for an administrative
assistant to the president of the college the field of applicants has been
narrowed down to 5--A, B, C, D, E .It was announced that the finalist would
be chosen after a series of all-day group personal interviews were held.The
examining committee agreed upon the following procedure
.At the first interview the following candidates appear
A,B,D.Which of the follwing combinations can be called for the interview to
be held next week.
Which of the following is a possible sequence of
combinations for interviews in 2 successive weeks
If A ,B and D appear for the interview and D is called for
additional interview the following week,which 2 candidates may be asked to
appear with D?
A.I and II B.I and III only C.II and III
only D.III and IV only
Which of the following correctly state(s) the procedure
followed by the search committee
A certain city is served by subway lines A,B and C and
numbers 1 2 and 3
1. On Jan 10th, with the temperature at 15 degree farenheit, it snows all day. On how many lines will service be affected, including both morning and afternoon.
(A) 2 (B) 3 (C) 4 (D) 5 Ans. D
2. On Aug 15th with the temperature at 97 degrees farenheit it begins to rain at 1 PM. What is the minimum number of lines on which service will be affected?
(A) 2 (B) 3 (C) 4 (D) 5 Ans. C
3. On which of the following occasions would service be on the greatest number of lines disrupted.
(A) A snowy afternoon with the temperature at 45 degree
43. In a certain society, there are two marriage groups, red and brown. No marriage is permitted within a group. On marriage, males become part of their wives groups; women remain in their own group. Children belong to the same group as their parents. Widowers and divorced males revert to the group of their birth. Marriage to more than one person at the same time and marriage to a direct descendant are forbidden
1. A brown female could have had
I. A grandfather born Red
(A) I only (B) III only (C) I, II and III (D) I and II only Ans. D
2. A male born into the brown group may have
(A) An uncle in either group (B) A brown daughter (C) A
3. Which of the following is not permitted under the rules as stated.
(A) A brown male marrying his father's sister
4. . If widowers and divorced males retained their group they had upon marrying which of the following would be permissible ( Assume that no previous marriage occurred)
(A) A woman marrying her dead sister's husband
I. All G's are H's
There are six steps that lead from the first to the second
floor. No two people can be on the same step
If Mr. A is on the first step, Which of the following is
If Mr. E was on the third step & Mr. B was on a higher step
than Mr. E which step must be vacant
If Mr. B was on step 1, which step could A be on?
4. If there were two steps between the step that A was standing and the step that B was standing on, and A was on a higher step than D , A must be on step
(a) 2 (b) 3 (c) 4 (d) 5 (e) 6 Ans: (c)
Which of the following is false
(a) i only (b) ii only (c) iii only (d) both i and iii Ans: (c)
Six swimmers A, B, C, D, E, F compete in a race. The
outcome is as follows.
Who stood fifth in the race ?
. How many swimmers seperate A and F ?
The swimmer between C & E is
If the end of the race, swimmer D is disqualified by the
Judges then swimmer B finishes in which place
Five houses lettered A,B,C,D, & E are built in a row next
to each other. The houses are lined up in the order A,B,C,D, & E. Each of
the five houses has a colored chimney. The roof and chimney of each
housemust be painted as follows.
Which of the following is true ?
Which must be false ?
If house C has a yellow roof. Which must be true.
Which possible combinations of roof & chimney can house
(a) I only (b) II only (c) III only (d) I & II only (e) I&II&III Ans: (e)
Is angle BAC is a right angle
Is x greater than y