Paper Type : Whole Testpaper
Test Date : 16 October 2008
Test Location : Bhubaneswar
Posted By : Ravi Gupta
ESSAR PAPER ON 16th OCTOBER AT BHUBANESWAR
HELLO FRIENDS. This is RAVI GUPTA ORISSA ENGINEERING COLLEGE
, BHUBANESWAR I am providing you selection procedure and
question papers of ESSAR.
Eligiblity for 2009 passing out batch 60% in B.Tech and Date
of Birth after 1-05-1986.
1st Company's PPT.
2nd online writtten test.
3rd technical .
Online written Test - This is the main round u have to clear
it with good marks ,it will help u in the technical round so
try to clear written technical with good marks.
Written paper has 4 sections- mathematical aptitude,
reasoning, english, technical .
All questions are very easy but you have to concentrate on
time running on each page.
For mathematical aptitude : just remember the formulas of
R.S AGGARWAL and solve or concentrate on Examples. This is
more than enough.
If you are good in calculations just concentrate at the time
English: Passages are very easy and scoring ,Fill in the
blanks all from barron's gre 12th edition try to remember
the answers of model test papers,
synonys antonyms are very difficult, if u are good in
english then only u can be confident otherwise hit any
options as i did.
Technical questions As this was my 3rd attempt for a core
company i realized that all companys are asking mechanical
questions from the book Mechanical Engineering (conventional
and Objective Type)
S.CHAND writter R.S. KHURMI and J.K.GUPTA so try to remember
objective as more as u can, it will help u for all campus
In essar if u will perform in written technical section then
they will ask 1-2 question only in next technical round.
Some of them are
1. Work done is Zero for which process?
2. Which cycle has high efficiency?
3. The power of 2 –stroke engine varies from 4 – stroke
4. Sudden reduction in barometer leads to ______.
5. Composition of Stainless steel ____.
6. Gears are produced in mass production by ______.
7. Pick out the wrong statements:
a) The good fuel should have high calorific value
b) Ease in storing
c) High ignition point
d) Low smoke and gases
8. Composition of Gun metal _____.
9. Gears are commonly called with _______
10. A good fuel should have ________ ignition point.
11. If heat supplied into the system is 30000 J/S and the
power output is 9KW. What is the efficiency of system?
12. A square rod of 2cm x 2cm of which a force of 8800Kg is
acting on it. What is the stress developed in it?
13. GNATT chart shows___________
14. Which is the high efficiency freezing agent?
15. Property of the freezing agent is:
16. A diesel engine, that is, slow speed engine follows
17. Hardness is the property of _________.
18. A Rotary compressor depends on ___________.
19. The potential energy raised upwards ___________ the
kinetic energy downwards.
20. Centipoise is the unit of ________.
21. For a thermodynamic system, the COP is 5 and the heat
supplied to the system is 1 KW.
22.Composition of gunmetal?.
23. Specific heat capacity of air?.
24. Melting point of Aluminum?.
25. If a ball is kept at aheight of x(m),from that position
it is dropeed .Does the p.e is equal to the K.e if the ball
goes inside the earth as same distance where it is
26. Viscosity of the lubricant ---------- with increase in
27. What amount of power required to make the 2-strke petrol
engine to 4-stroke diesel engine?.
28. Which engine is the most efficient in terms of
29. for the same compression ratio heat removed in each
cycle is efficient in otto or diesel cycle?.
30. Use of draft tube in turbine ?.a) to increase work o/p
of runner b) To increase turbine output.
31. Percentage of carbon in toolsteel?.
32. Introduction of sulphur in mild steel increases or
decreases the machinability?.
33. Is bernoullis theorem is applicable for steady or
34. Axial turbine is of which type?.a) high head b) low
25. corrosion is inhibited due to oxidation or reduction?.
36. Binary power cycle uses ---------as working fluid?.
37. the purpose of runner in casting ----------
38. shape of a u.d.l.of cantilever beam is?.
39. which has high coefficient of friction ?.disc or band
40. Engine valve seat is cooled at ----- temperature in
41.Bucling is high in bar which is greater or smaller in
42. Formula for deflection of beam? Ans; PL/AE
43. Which law says that pressure can be transferred from onr
point to another in an undiminished form?.
44. Is Vane pump is Positive or non-positive displacement
45. As the altitude why density of the decreases?.
46. In the reversible adiabatic process entrophy is constant
47. In which process the temperature of the system changes
but there is no heat transfer to the surroundings?.
In an ideal gas compared to a real gas at very high pressure
Kinetic theory of gases assumes that collisions between the
The condition of perfect vacuum that is at absolute zero
pressure can be attained at?
Specific heat of air?
Which law states that internal energy is function of
Minimum work done for an adiabatic process the value of n?
Air Refrigerator works on?
1 watt = 1Nm/S
1 h.p = ?kw
When crude oil heated Which Hydro carbon comes first?
What is the purpose of Supercharger?
1Kg of carbon to CO, Amount oxygen required?
Horse power per tones of refrigeration?
Scale formation on the surface of the boiler tubes due to ?
Axial shift in steam turbine occurs due to?
Latent heat of vapourization at low pressure and
Shaft revolving in a bearing which pair?
Difference between dedendum and addendum?
The fatique life of a part can be improved by ?
Rotational tendency of force?
Acetylene dissolved in ?
The frequency of transverse vibration is 3hz then critical
More viscous lub oil?
Example for Non destructive test?
Advantage of V belt?
In gear boxes Which type of key is used
A structural member subjected to an axial compressive force
Pig iron is produced in which furnace?
Heat generation of arc welding is due to ?
In what angle does an object thrown height will travel the
Angle of contact between the journal and bearing?
The coupling is required to connect two parallel shaft
distance between the shaft is small and variable?
Carbon is added to steel to increase its hardness-True/False
Wings of airplane are made by---
To protect from thrust which type of follower is used?
With increase in temperature--- Viscosity of liquid---
Heavy machine beds are made of CI for-------
For shock resistance and vibrations we use ----
Rupture strength==== ?
Washer is used for-------
Surface endurance limit depends on (toughness/surface
tension/yield strength/surface finish)
In a uniformly distributed load of 6n/m over a 5 meter
length simply supported beam, the value of B.M at the point
where shear force is zero (17.5/22.5/55/75)
Cam size depends on (base circle/pitch circle/prime
Poisons ratio is higher in (rubber/steel/wood)
In drill tool carbon % is (<0.4 %, 0.8% -1.6%, 1-2.5%)
finishing operation in lathe is done at(low speed/high
degree of freedom in super structure
axial compressors follow the process in ideal conditions
forced draft has negative pressure drop(true or false)
advantage of v-belt?
The key used in the gears for transmitting power(flat/saddle/spline/square)
dye penetration test is (pouring/surface
endurance limit is depend upon—1.toughness 2.elasticity
in which furnace ,pig iron is made?
corrosion resistant material?
centipoise is unit of ?
broaching is made to produce?
steady rest is used for?
In parson's turbine ,relation between angles?
Refrigerant used in refrigerator?
Composition of babbit metal?
Cantilever beam failure of surface finish is represented by?
At what angle in the valve timing, Diesel engine injection
Name any one non destructive test?
Clutch is located between?
What is the Melting pt of iron?
Name any one Gear material?
Drill material composition?
Which mechanism is used to hold the gear ?
Reynolds number range for laminar flow –?
Nusselt (for natural) number is function of which number?
Angle of contact between journal and bearing?
What is the function of cutting fluid?
Dual cycle combination of which two cycles?
In screw jack --------which thread is used?—
ACME thread angle?
Frequency of a system is 3 Hz then find the speed in rpm?
For which gear shafts are co-axial?
in simple gear train every shaft is attached with one simple
Radiation heat transfer is varied with T to the power of 4.
no favourite paper they ask questions from manufacturing
science,fluid mechanics etc so remember definitions and
procedures of mnufacturing sections
ex. which process is used for making piston,car body,engine
cylinder coin etc dont bluff on any question otherwise u
will be rejected
In the PI they ask very simple questions
tell me something about yourself
project if any
answer in simple sentences,politely they may ask in hindi
also if u are not good in english and scored good in written
Only u have to be confident,genuine , don't bluff or guess
on any question simply say i dont know sir they are very
good and genuine people dont wear any tie.
ALL THE BEST HOPE TO SEE U AT ESSAR