ABB VADODRA PAPER 2 MAY,2004
TECHNICAL PAPER-40 QUESTION, 45- MINUTES
(1)in a ckt. We r giving voltage of 50 Hz as well as 60.
then what will be the resultant frequency.
(a)less than 50 (b)more than 60(c)in between 50 & 60
(d)none..........according to our conclusion answer will be
none because if we apply two frequency component resultatnt
frequency we can not say with such an ease.U should confirm
2.In a ckt a single resistor is connected across a d.c.
source, what will be the effect on current in first
resistor if we connect one more resistance in parallel with
Answer.. no change since it is a parallel combination.
3.why we don,t like flashover in transmission line
(t-line)- (a ) it may create earth fault(b )it reduces the
life of insulator.....
Read something about flashover & puncture.
4.total no of strands in a acsr conductor is 81, then what
is the no. of conductor in its outer layer....(a)36 (b)18
(c)24.......Also read some more on acsr.
5.Two questions based on p.u. calculation like , p.u.
calculation is given with respect to some old base and u
have to calculate it with reference to new base. (new
resistance/old)=(mva new /mva old)*(old voltage/new
Other question is based upon transfer of p.u calculation in
transformer i.e. how base changes when we we move from
primary to secondary or like wise.read some more on p.u
6.which table is referred for sag calculation-
7.in a R-L ckt a ac voltage is applied , such that
instantaneous power is negative for 2ms, then what will be
the power factor.
(a) 9 deg, (b) 18 deg, (c) 36 Deg...........(I don't know
the correct ans)
8. In an incandescent lamp
(a) luminous intensity is more than non-luminous intensity
(b) ,, ,, ,, less ,, ,, ,,
Ans: Since efficiency is less than 100%, hence ans is (b), u
9. In which motor no-load to full-load diff. is lowest
(a) series motor, (b) shunt motor, (c) Compound motor
10. In a 60Hz induction motor full load speed is 850 rpm
then what is the Synchronous speed. (a) 900 rpm, (b) 950
rpm, (c) 1600
11. A sync. Motor is running at synch. Speed, if al of
sudden D.C. excitation is removed, then
(a) it will rotate at slip speed, (b) it will stop, (c) it
will continue to rotate at sync. Speed
Ans: (a), because actually it will acts as Induction motor.
12. A transmission line is designed for 50Hz, 440KV. If we
want to transfer power at 60Hz, 440 KV, then the power
transfer capability will
(a) decrease, (b) Increase, (c)None
Ans: (a) ...as P=( |Vt| |Ef| sin (delta) ) / X, where
(delta) is torque
13. Increased rotor resistance in rotor ckt of induction
motor is related with
(a) high starting torque, (b) more speed
14. In the formulae E = 4.44 f N Ô, Ô is
(a) Avg value, (b) Rms value, (c) Maximum
15. Voltage & current in a ckt is given by V= V1+j V2 and I=
I1 +j I2, then rms power is
.......(refer book by Edministrator on NETWORK ..)
16. Input impedence of MOSFET is
(a) more than BJT........(Ans)
17, 18. Remember truth table of AND, NOR, NAND, OR, EX-OR
19. Conversion of Binary number into Equivalent decimal No.
20. Megger is used for the measurement of (a) Insulation
Conductor resistance.............Ans: (a)
21. Form factor for sinusoidal as well as DC
22. Formulae of Regulation (Vs- Vr)* 100/ Vr, then
transmission line is
(a) short transmission line, (b) long, (c)
23. Improvement in power factor reduces
(a) power consumed by consumer, (b) power generation, (c)
both a &
24. Read about field test of Series Motor...
25. No-load test for Synchronous motor, the graph is drawn
(a) stator open ckt emf Vs field
26. An AC voltage of 50Hz is impressed in a resistive ckt,
the oscillating power has a frequency (a) 50 Hz, (b) 100,
(c) no oscillating power is there in resistive ckt......Ans:
27. Insulation used in transformer ___________leakage flux.
(a) increases, (b) decreases............Ans: (b)
28.After rain what happens to Insulator (a) break-down
strength of Insulator decreases, (b)Arch length reduces,
..........Ans: (b).....[Confirm it]
29.Diversity factor helps to ............(what ?) [Read
diversity factor, load factor, Reserve capacity factor in
30. Why capacitance is shown as a Shunt element in analysis
of transmission line
(a) it is between Conductor & earth, (b) because Admittance
is used for calculation of capacitive
31. B-R-Y sequence is followed in three phase system, if
phase voltage in B-phase is Vm sin 100, then the phase
voltage in R-phase would be (a) Vm sin (-20)
32. In a particular ckt I = Im Sin (wt -270) and V = Vm Sin
wt, then type of ckt is (a) pure resistive ckt
33. In a L-R ckt energy lost = 2000 W, energy conserved =
500W, then what is the time constant...........Ans: time
constant = L/R = 0.5
34. In electro-dynamometer A'meter & wattmeter the type of
35. For the same current carrying capacity corona loss of
ACSR will be ________than copper conductor.
(a) more, (b) less, (c) equal.
36. A R-C ckt , supplied with DC, a bulb is connected across
the Capacitor, then what happens to the illumination, if we
change the capacitance.
Ans: No change at all
37. Read about surge impendence of over-head and
under-ground cable, Surge impedence formula = sqrt(L/C)
[N.B] We are not mentioning the options in sequence, and do
not think that ans for the most questions is option (a).
Read all options very carefully as all are very close to
QUANTITATIVE PAPER + PCM paper
45 Questions ---------45 minutes
1. About 10 quanti questions ( based on Mixture, Work etc.
of very easy type)
2. What is GDP ?
3. Vector algebra, codition for Co-planer vector etc.
4. Gravitation, geo-synchronous satellite( it's hight, orbit
etc.), escape velocity, how g (gravitational accln) varies,
about gravitational potential.
5. Basic electricity and Magnetism----Biot-savart law,
current carrying conductor properties.
6. Nuclear physics, Bohr's constant, and Other theories
7. Problem based on VIBGYOR , how wave length and frequency
8. Questions based on Plank's Theory, E =hv
9. V=u + at , V2=u2 + 2as and W = mgh questions based on
10. Faraday's laws of electrolysis, m = Zit
11. Heat conduction problem.
12. Co lour-coding of resistor (BBROYGBVGW)
13. How velocity of light changes in different medium while
frequency remain unchanged.
14. statistics , calculation of mode, co-efficient
regression (3-4 Questions)
15. f(x) = Sin x + Cos x, find the maximum value of the
function.......Ans: sqrt (2)
16. Formulae for parallel plate capacitor and force between